- ► February (20)
- ► January (31)
- ► December (29)
- ► November (30)
- ► October (31)
- ► September (32)
- ► August (31)
- ► July (31)
- ► June (30)
- ► May (30)
- ► April (30)
- ► March (31)
- ► February (28)
- ► January (31)
- ► December (30)
- ► November (29)
- ► October (31)
- ► September (29)
- ► August (32)
- ► July (25)
- ► June (21)
- ► May (31)
- ► April (30)
- ► March (30)
- ► February (29)
- ► January (31)
- ► December (28)
- ► November (30)
- ► October (32)
- ► September (29)
- ► August (32)
- ► July (31)
- ▼ June (27)
- ► May (31)
- ► April (36)
- ► March (42)
- ► February (35)
- ► January (34)
- ► December (39)
- ► November (35)
- ► October (42)
- ► September (37)
- ► August (35)
- ► July (37)
- ► June (37)
- ► May (21)
- ► April (33)
- ► March (39)
- ► February (36)
- ► January (38)
- ► December (39)
- ► November (32)
- ► October (37)
- ► September (39)
- ► August (42)
Briefs Editor Frosty Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Master John Strasser
June 2, 2014
· Editor’s Note: Today’s issue is short because I spent most of the day at the hospital with a family member. I’ll try to catch up tomorrow.
· Brewer To Obama: June 2, 2014 - I write regarding media reports that the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is transporting hundreds, and potentially thousands, of illegal aliens from the south Texas border and releasing them at bus stations in Tucson and Phoenix.
As Governor of Arizona, I am deeply concerned about this troubling policy and the adverse impact on the illegal aliens, as well as to Arizona. It is especially disconcerting that DHS instituted this operation without any notification to my office, the Arizona Department of Public Safety or the Arizona Department of Homeland Security. We instead learned of this action from the news media.
Our nation and the State of Arizona face significant challenges stemming from your administration's refusal to carry out its responsibility to secure our country's southern border. State and local governments, law enforcement agencies, health care providers and nonprofit organizations are all stretched to the breaking point attempting to manage the enormity of these challenges. By systematically transporting and releasing more illegal aliens into Arizona,
Your administration will exacerbate this problem.This unwarranted operation is another disturbing example of a deliberate failure to enforce border security policies and repair a broken immigration system. Media reports indicate that many of the illegal aliens that DHS is releasing into Arizona from Texas are women, children, and unaccompanied juveniles. The reports also indicate that DHS has abandoned these individuals at the bus stations without any food, water or basic necessities. I remind you that the daytime temperatures in Arizona during this time of year are regularly more than 100 degrees. Consequently, this federal operation seems to place expediency over basic humanitarian concerns. The federal government should not shirk its lawful responsibility to care for and properly process these individuals.
So that the citizens of our country may fully understand the scope and goal of this operation, I ask that your administration provide answers to me regarding the following questions:
· Who authorized this policy, and why has the federal government selected Arizona as the target?
· When was the policy initiated, and how much longer is the operation expected to
· How many aliens have been transported from other states to Arizona and released
through this operation?
· How many aliens have designated Arizona as their ultimate destination?
· How many aliens are designated as a "family unit," and how many have been designated as "unaccompanied juveniles?"
· What does the federal government know about the backgrounds and histories of the
aliens being transported and released in Arizona?
· What proactive steps is DRS or any other federal agency undertaking to establish
emergency housing/detention space to properly process those aliens?
· What has caused this massive influx of illegal aliens such that federal operations in Texas are unable to handle the processing of these individuals?
· What is being done to secure the border in Texas to prevent the continued illegal crossings that have "forced" the federal government to transport illegal aliens from Texas and release them in Arizona?
In closing, I urge you to end this dangerous and unconscionable policy immediately, and instead take actions to fulfill the federal government's fundamental responsibility of protecting our homeland by securing our nation's borders. cc: The Honorable Rick PetTy, Governor of Texas and The Honorable John Boehner, U.S. Speaker of the House
· Arizona House Of Representatives House Recognition Of Protect.Org for increasing awareness of the suffering inflicted on children by those who produce and consume child pornography
· WHEREAS, child abuse includes the sexual abuse and rape of children, from toddlers to teens, by child pornographers; and
· WHEREAS, Protect.org estimates that in Arizona alone there are 15,000 Internet leads of people trading and sharing child pornography; and
· WHEREAS, the Arizona Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force has been operating off a federal grant of $360,000 since 1998 and are down to four full-time investigators from the nine originally hired to staff the bureau, and that one investigator can investigate only 25 to 30 leads per year; and
· WHEREAS, the problem of child abuse stemming from child pornography has increased to a point where thousands of leads are not being investigated, and that to address the 15,000 leads in Arizona it requires many more full-time investigators and computer forensic examiners.
· THEREFORE, the Members of the Arizona Legislature and Governor Brewer hereby include a $350,000 appropriation in Senate Bill 2002 to add investigators to the Arizona Internet Crimes Against children Task Force. This will provide highly trained and equipped investigators to rescue children currently being used by child pornographers, prevent other children for suffering and apprehend the creators and consumers of child pornography.
Dated this 30th day of May 2014, Speaker of The House Andy Tobin, LD1
· LD20 Sen Kimberly Yee Is Calling For Volunteers to help verifying signatures for her primary candidate opponent’s petitions. “In just one day, we have found a number of errors in his signatures and believe we can find more, but we need more volunteers due to the 10 day window to file a complaint regarding invalid signatures.” Signatures will be reviewed between 8 am and 5 pm, Mon-Fri at the Maricopa County Elections Office, 510 W 3rd Ave., Phx. Contact: Kimberly Yee at email@example.com
· LD12 Chairman Micki Niland has announced the June 12 and July 10 meetings will be held at Gilbert Community Education Center, 6839 E Guadalupe Road (Power and Guadalupe), Mesa, AZ 85212. Contact Niland at web: www.azld12.com
· Congressman Matt Salmon On Marine Jailed In Mexico:
· Arizona Senators John McCain And Jeff Flake, along with Tom Coburn (R-OK), and Richard Burr (R-NC) will hold a press conference to introduce the Veterans Choice Act at 1:45 pm, June 3 at the Senate Radio/TV Gallery in Washington DC. The Veterans Choice Act addresses the most pressing issues raised by the scandal at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs by providing veterans with greater flexibility and choice in health care providers and increasing accountability and transparency at the VA.
· The Maricopa Republican Club has scheduled a fundraiser for the Maricopa School District between 6-8 pm, July 12 at the Duke Golf Course. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
· An Old-Fashioned Meet And Greet is scheduled from 2-4 pm, June 8 for LD13 House candidate Lei Lani Cortez at the home of Bob and Cindy Thomas, 318 W Coronado Rd., Phx. Flyer: CLICK HERE
· Congressman Matt Salmon and Constitutional expert Shane Krauser will make a presentation to the East Valley Tea Party at 6:30 pm, Tues, June 3 at the Burke Basic School, 131 E. Southern Ave., Mesa.
· A Meet And Greet For Chandler City Council candidates Terry Roe and Rene Lopez is scheduled between 5-8 pm, June 4 at Floridino’s in Chandler. Special Guests: State treasurer candidate Doug Ducey, Maricopa County Supervisors Chairman Denny Barney, Chandler Mayor Jay Tibshraeny and Chandler Councilman Jeff Weninger. RSVP email@example.com or http://renelopezforchandler.nationbuilder.com/calendar
· CD2 candidate Martha McSally is hosting a a full breakfast buffet from 8:30 -10 am, Sat., June 7 at the The Hungry Fox, 4637 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, Arizona 85611
(Broadway & Swan). $40 for couples. $25 per person suggested RSVP: Andrew Murray 520-488-4610 Andrew@mcsallyforcongress.com
· A Meet And Greet For Queen Creek City Council Candidate Emilena Turley is scheduled at 5 pm, Thur., June 5 at the home of Jamie and Sue Sossaman, 18895 E Octotillo Road, Queen Creek. Special guests: Congressman Matt Salmon and Rep Warren Petersen. RSVP emilina@emilaturley,com
· Remember 1986 Is Hosting A Meet And Greet with Ted Hayes, civil rights and homeless activist, at 6:30 pm, June 26 at Coco’s Bakery Restaurant,4514 E Cactus Road, Phx. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org. See http://www.TedHayes.US
· An Independent Day Event With Shane Krauser, Constitutional expert, is scheduled at 7 pm, July 2 at the Brand New Church, 1827 W Grovers., Phx. Hosted by The Deer Valley Tea Party, North Valley Tea Party, Daisy Mountain Tea Party, Surprise Tea Party, Sun Cit Tea Party, Scottsdale Tea Party, Brand New Church and others. Free admission. Donations accepted.
· CD2 Candidate Martha McSally is calling for volunteers to gather at 9 am, Sat., June7 at campaign headquarters, 4400 E. Broadway Blvd, Suite 510 to help reach out to voters. RSVP to Matt Brown at Matt@mcsallyforcongress.com.
· The Highway 69 Republicans will meet at 6 pm, Mon, June 9 to hear gubernatorial candidate Frank Riggs and State Treasurer candidate Jeff DeWit at the Puerta Vallarta Restaurant, 11901 E. Hwy 69, Dewey AZ, 86327. RSVP: June at 928-632-4661 or email@example.com 5 pm social hour.
· ATTENTION CANDIDATES: Please confine your statements to no more than 250 words. If they run longer, they will be edited.
· Gubernatorial Candidate Andrew Thomas on the Ninth Circuit’s ruling for Mary Rose Wilcox: “It’s hard to say what’s more outrageous: twice-indicted Wilcox receiving this payout compliments of the most liberal appeals court in the nation, or Wilcox running for Congress in a district that is racially gerrymandered. As Governor, I will work to clean up our dishonest liberal courts and make sure racial preferences are a thing of the past.”
· Gubernatorial Candidate Frank Riggs asks, who are you going to trust to enforce the law and secure our border? The so-called "wealthy candidates" who never served in the military, or for that matter, have no legislative record whatsoever to back their rhetoric, or Riggs, the only candidate who has both military and law enforcement experience? Riggs served as a military policemen and military police investigator in the US Army and as a police officer and deputy sheriff after leaving the military. Riggs took the same oath when he enlisted in the Army as when he was sworn into Congress: to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. As governor, Riggs will take an oath to secure our border, repeal Common Core and restore local control over K-12 education, and ensure that his fellow vets get the healthcare they need...and have earned! In a crowded field, Riggs is the tested, proven and most experienced candidate... and the clear conservative choice with a consistent record! He's walked his talk and has shown time and again, he'll be the courageous governor we want and the strong governor we need. www.RiggsforAZgov.com 480-437-1033
· Gubernatorial Candidate Doug Ducey: A few weeks ago I unveiled my policy plan, the Arizona Roadmap to Opportunity and Freedom. I’m building on that promise by sharing my signed pledge to the people of Arizona. My 10-point pledge was mailed to every precinct committeeman to communicate my core values and commitment. The pledge issues include economic growth, responsible fiscal policy, constitutional freedoms, protecting Arizonans and resisting federal government overreach, especially when it comes to education, healthcare and state’s rights. Part of that commitment is safeguarding Arizona’s southern border and working to make sure the federal government upholds its constitutional duty to protect it while staying out of issues that should be left to states or individual freedoms. Last week, the Obama Administration again failed when hundreds of illegal immigrants – mostly women and children – were transported from Texas to Arizona and inhumanely left at Greyhound bus stations in Phoenix and Tucson because of a lack of federal immigration resources in Texas. This action is both egregious and inhumane, and shows a blatant disregard of immigration laws, the interests of the people of Arizona and basic human dignity. I’ve asked Congressman Paul Gosar, Arizona’s U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee member, to request hearings on this matter. Arizonans deserve to know why the federal government seems to be hell-bent on abdicating its responsibilities to its citizens and, as we’ve also seen in recent weeks, our veterans. I also started a petition seeking immediate corrective action from the federal government on both these issues. The Obama administration may not be serious about either issue, but here’s a chance to show them that we are.
· Gubernatorial Candidate Christine Jones: With less than 60 days until early voting begins and only 85 days until Primary Election Day, the race is really heating up. As you may have seen, Christine has been the recipient of dark money attacks by Doug Ducey and his establishment friends. While they will continue to do their level best to take our campaign down, Christine is focused on sharing her conservative vision for the state and providing solutions to our state’s most pressing problems. Last week, Christine sat down with the Phoenix Business Journal to discuss her priorities and where she stands on the issues. Click here to read the full article.
· Today, Reps. Trent Franks and Diane Black (R-TN) led a bipartisan effort of 105 Members of the House to send a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) urging him to allow for a vote in the Senate on the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. Franks who carried the House version of the bill, said, "One year ago, the case of Kermit Gosnell shocked the sensibilities of millions of Americans. However, the crushing fact is that abortions on babies just like the ones killed by Kermit Gosnell have been happening in America every single day for the past 41 years -- including the year that has passed since America first learned of Kermit Gosnell. Had Kermit Gosnell agonizingly dismembered these babies before they had traveled down the birth canal only moments earlier, he would have, in many places nationwide, been performing an entirely legal procedure. If America truly understands that horrifying reality, hearts and laws will change. To that end, the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which passed out of the House last year, marked the first time in history, in either chamber of the U.S. Congress, that affirmative protection has been extended to unborn children.” On May 13, Senator Lindsey Graham’s request for floor consideration of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act was blocked. Click here for a digital copy of the Members’ letter to Senator Reid.
· State Treasurer Candidate Jeff Dewit: We turned in 16,704 signatures - almost 3 times the required amount, with qualifying amounts from all 15 Arizona counties. The minimum requirement of signatures for statewide candidates is 5,651 with qualifying amounts from 3 counties. I have long said that as a statewide candidate I want to represent all of Arizona, and set our goal to exceed the signature thresholds in every county. My travels across the state on this mission, and our team's tireless efforts to reach all of Arizona, have been well documented on Facebook. Last week we turned in 16,424 signatures with qualifying amounts in 14 counties, yet were 93 short in Mohave County which kept us from reaching that ultimate 'every county' goal. However, we had 24 hours left. So Sean and I raced to Lake Havasu City and knocked on door after door, and right before the 5 p.m. cutoff we turned in 107 additional Mohave signatures along with more petitions for other counties that arrived in the mail from volunteers. We not only accomplished the goal, we surpassed it in a huge way with over 10,000 more total signatures than the required minimums! This was truly a community effort. The majority of the signatures were collected by our team and a hard working grassroots army of unpaid friends and volunteers. I cannot thank you all enough. Today we showed Arizona that collecting qualifying signature amounts from all 15 counties can be done. Thank you.
· CD1 Candidate Andrew Kwasman to Oro Valley Republicans: Calls on Kirkpatrick to Resign “I have been appalled at the lack of respect our veterans have been receiving from our government. Veterans deserve our highest plaudits, not secret files and scandalous bureaucratic behavior. We have learned Dr. Sam Foote contacted Representative Kirkpatrick about VA scandal in February. Mrs. Kirkpatrick kept Dr. Foote’s information private until Congressman Jeff Miller brought it forward on April 9. She knew in February there were secret lists at the Phoenix VA and did nothing. This is totally unacceptable. Ann Kirkpatrick needs to resign, and resign right now. Our elected representatives owe their constituents their best efforts to govern effectively. Congresswoman Kirkpatrick has failed miserably in her duties.” www.AdamKwasman.com. Editor’s Note: Kwasman’s letter to Kirkpatrick is too long to post.
· The Maricopa County Republican Committee Executive Guidance Committee will meet at 7 pm, Thur., June 5 at State Headquarters, 3501 N. 24th St., Signs ins at 6 pm. All possible guests are required to sign up. Only registered Republicans with a valid photo ID will be admitted. No news media, audio and/or video recording will be allowed. Johnathan Paton is scheduled to address “Yes on 122 at 7:25 pm. Http://Yeson122.Com/ All 20 LD Chairmen provide updates on district activities. The MCRC EGC will meet against on Thur., July 3. Contact: Chairman A J LaFaro firstname.lastname@example.org
· Republican Candidate Announcements, fundraiser, neighborhood walks and other events can be sent to email@example.com for posting in the Briefs. In fairness to all GOP primary candidates, Briefs does not post endorsements, nor does it endorse any GOP candidates prior to the primary. See Briefs at Http://Archives.Mcrcbriefs.Org/
· MCRC Chairman A J LaFaro: Individuals who want to be PC write-ins will need to complete the PC Affidavit for Write-Ins and submit it to Elections between May 29th and June 11th. http://recorder.maricopa.gov/web/precinctcommitteemen.aspx . Early Ballots Go Out July 31.
· Arizona candidates that filed: http://www.azsos.gov/election/2014/primary/FullListing.htm
Maricopa County candidates filed: http://recorder.maricopa.gov/web/pdf/2014CANDIDATELISTING.pdf