- ► March (23)
- ► February (28)
- ► January (31)
- ► December (29)
- ► November (30)
- ► October (31)
- ► September (32)
- ► August (31)
- ► July (31)
- ► June (30)
- ► May (30)
- ► April (30)
- ► March (31)
- ► February (28)
- ► January (31)
- ► December (30)
- ► November (29)
- ► October (31)
- ► September (29)
- ► August (32)
- ► July (25)
- ► June (21)
- ► May (31)
- ► April (30)
- ► March (30)
- ► February (29)
- ▼ January (31)
- ► December (28)
- ► November (30)
- ► October (32)
- ► September (29)
- ► August (32)
- ► July (31)
- ► June (27)
- ► May (31)
- ► April (36)
- ► March (42)
- ► February (35)
- ► January (34)
- ► December (39)
- ► November (35)
- ► October (42)
- ► September (37)
- ► August (35)
- ► July (37)
- ► June (37)
- ► May (21)
- ► April (33)
- ► March (39)
- ► February (36)
- ► January (38)
- ► December (39)
- ► November (32)
- ► October (37)
- ► September (39)
- ► August (42)
Briefs Editor Frosty Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Web Master John Strasser
Friday, January 16, 2015
· FEC Complaint Prepared Against Robert Graham and the AZGOP, according to Treasury candidate Ardith Hildebrant’s press release: Ardith Hildebrant, candidate for Treasurer in the AZGOP’s upcoming January 24th election, has prepared a formal complaint for the Federal Election Commission (FEC) against Chairman Robert Graham and the Arizona Republican Party (AZGOP). The complaint documents dozens of entries and transactions that question the compliance with federal and state campaign finance disclosure laws, she said.
Hildebrant who’s career expertise is in accounting, operational and
internal auditing, and legal research related to internal audits, said “Serious violations of campaign finance laws have been raised throughout Robert Graham’s administration. That’s the main reason I felt compelled to run for Treasurer.” Hildebrant added “now we have the evidence after weeks of investigation and review”.
Robert Graham and Timothy Lee, the Treasurer for the AZGOP have been asked repeatedly to explain what they have been doing; however, they have refused, she said.
This is not the first time Robert Graham and Timothy Lee have been implicated in campaign finance law violations, according to Hildebrant. Timothy Lee was the AZGOP Treasurer of record when the FEC conducted a full audit of the AZGOP and his activities from 2009 through 2010. Robert Graham was the President of Americans for Responsible Leadership (ARL) when California’s Fair Political Practices Commission indicted and fined ARL and Sean Noble’s Center to Protect Patient Rights (CPPR) a record $1 million for money laundering tens of millions of dollars, she said.
The current dark and dirty money campaign finance violations are too numerous and complicated to describe in this release, but appear to be far more serious than Graham’s and Lee’s previous campaign finance activities and violations, according to Hildebrant.
Tom Morrissey, former Chairman of the AZGOP said, “Graham’s and his supporters’ hypocrisy is stunning. They seem to be saying because they are the establishment, crony capitalists and wealthy special interest groups that campaign finance regulations and the law don’t apply to them. The FEC should make it crystal clear to them that the law does apply to them”. Morrissey went on to say “these egregious actions are not victimless violations”
Hildebrant urged “Robert Graham, Timothy Lee and the AZGOP to come clean and submit to a voluntary full audit by the FEC”.
The treasurer has a watchdog role over all aspects of financial management, working closely with the other members of the Executive Committee to safeguard the finances of the AZGOP and its contributors. The treasurer of a political committee registered with the FEC is legally responsible for that committee's compliance with the federal campaign finance laws, according to Hildebrant.
Hildebrant said “It’s imperative that anyone interested in running for treasurer of any organization make sure they audit the books first”.
· Editor’s note: Treasurer Timothy Lee responded: “All of our work has been audited by outside independent Auditors who are familiar with the details and requirements of the FEC and the SOS. We have passed 6 outside audits in 8 years including a comprehensive
FEC Audit which covered 2009-2010 and all AZGOP oversight operations through 2013. I began that Audit and subsequently completed that FEC Audit under the current Chairman. We are currently undergoing our 7th outside Audit in compliance with the Bylaws of the AZGOP. We also use an outside Auditor on an ongoing monthly basis who routinely Audits all of our information for compliance before submission to the SOS and FEC. That Auditor was put under contract during Tom Morrissey’s leadership, and continues in place to this day.”
“At every meeting that I have given a Treasurer’s Report I always end the Report with an offer to everybody present and eligible to review such, to make an appointment to come on down to the 24th Street Headquarters and we will open everything up for scrutiny of any length or degree. In 8 years as the AZGOP Treasurer NOBODY – not one person - has ever taken me up on that invitation ‘to open the books’ for their personal review,” Lee said.
· Timothy Lee, AZGOP Treasurer Retiring After 10 years on Executive Committee: After more than a decade of serving the Arizona Republican Party as a volunteer Officer in the capacity of CD1 At-Large member and then Treasurer for eight years. Lee formally announced his retirement today from State Party politics to end at the Jan 24 Statutory Meeting.
Lee, a lifetime Republican, has been a Precinct Committeeman for more than 30 years. He is also recently retired from a business career that spans more than 25 years. He resides in the city of Phoenix where he is an active participant in many social, charitable and political endeavors. Among his many achievements he received the AZGOP Barry Goldwater Award for Lifetime Service in 2012 and the AZGOP Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011. He was a Delegate to the 2008 Republican National Convention.
“We have dragged the AZGOP financial operations kicking and screaming into the 21st Century,” Lee said. “Our operations are now close to state of the art which has allowed us to focus on details in order to avoid troubles.” Lee is most proud of the fact that the AZGOP ‘has not been fined one dime’ for any financial infractions during his tenure in office.
“I leave office at a time when, for the last two years, we have raised more money than any previous period all the way back to Mr. (Paul) Fannin’s era,” he said. “Because of great leadership in the Party, we have been able to fund successful campaigns and projects from one end of this state to the other.” Lee holds a BA Degree from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and a Master’s Degree from Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
Editor’s Note: Timothy Lee, informed the Briefs he would be retiring from the AZGOP politics before Ms Hildebrant’s press release surfaced. Lee recently moved into LD24, however, he was not an elected State Committeemen for that LD. For several weeks, reports have circulated that Lee would be appointed, by the State AZGOP Chairman, to fill a recently vacated LD24 State Committeeman’s position. AZGOP candidates must be State Committeemen. When it became apparent to him that the appointment was not forthcoming and he would not be eligible to be nominated from the floor to run again for AZGOP Treasurer he decided to retire from politics.
· Ardith Hildebrant Has Announced Her Candidacy For The AZGOP Treasurer and joined AZGOP Chairman Candidate Lori Urban’s slate for election at the Jan 24 Statutory meeting. Hildebrant does accounting for U-Haul and A to Z Rentals, has done internal and operational auditing for U-Haul and Kar-Go, and assisted outside auditing firm with annual audits of U-Haul Inter’l and subsidiaries. She is a director of for the U-Haul Federal Credit Union has developed accounting procedures, forms, and systems and is the treasurer of the Scottsdale Block Watch Advisory Council. She also does back office responsibilities (back up) for several major store operations. She has raised fund for the Arizona Humane Society and is a volunteer with the Scottsdale Bible Church Encore Choir focusing on senior living, memory care and rehabilitation centers. “As a life-long Republican I can no longer stand by and watch our wonderful country lose its hard fought and won freedoms and liberties. I am compelled to step up and do what I can to help us turn this country back to its precious conservative founding principles and Constitutional values. Therefore, with much enthusiasm I am putting my energy where my heart and mouth have always been.”
· AZGOP First Vice-Chairman Parralee Schneider, who has been a PC and State Committeemen since 1996, has announced her candidacy for re-election as the First Vice-Chairman of the AZGOP at the Jan 24 AZGOP Statutory meeting in Tempe. Schneider edited and distributed the AZGOP PC Handbook, is a former President of the Tucson Republican Woman’s Club, and former TRW PAC treasurer, helped coordinator several state and national GOP candidate campaigns, served on the AZGOP Arrangement Committee for the 2008 RNC Convention, and founded the Tucson “East Side Republicans,” among numerous other accomplishments. Schneider served as the AZGOP Second Vice-Chairman and move into the First Vice Chair slot upon the resignation of former First Vice Chair Sen Russell Pearce. Schneider said, “My work for the party is a labor of love, and I fully appreciate that it is the grassroots volunteers in our party that are the most important component of victory. I've worked hard and with your support we can continue our efforts to bring victory for our candidates and strengthen our party. We need to keep up the work to ensure that our grassroots activists and our party remain a force to be reckoned with at all levels of government.” Her goals are to Improve communication at all levels, make the Party’s offerings clearer and more accessible, emphasize the grassroots, local decision-making, feedback from the field to the Party, expand the Republican community reaching out and getting more people involved, and support the entire Republican platform.
· LD13 PC Jonathan Lines Has Announced His Candidacy For The AZGOP Treasurer election scheduled during the Jan 24 AZGOP Statutory meeting in Tempe. Lines, who is serving a third term as Chairman of the Yuma County Republican Central Committee - representing the Yuma portion of Legislative Districts 4 and 13, said he “decided to run because I was told it (at 2 pm., the day of the inauguration) that there was a vacant position and nobody had filed” for it. He also said he felt more representation was needed from the west side of the state. Lines was raised in Yuma, where his family has been since the 1930's. The family originally settled in Pima, Safford and Thatcher, Arizona in the 1880s and were involved in ranching and mining. He is the GM-VP for Lines and Lundgreen Roofing & Insulation and a partner in Tuscany Development – a 21 acre medical/professional plaza. And he serves as the Arizona Game and Fish Heritage Fund statewide Arizona representative. He worked in the family business while attending AWC and NAU-Yuma since returning from a 2 year mission served in Argentina and Uruguay. He served 11 years on the National Advisory Board for Johns Manville –a Warren Buffet Company, works with the Boy Scouts, Yuma Rotary Board and Caballeros de Yuma. Lines and his wife Rosalie of Provo, Utah, have 11 children, 8 boys and 3 girls.
· A Support Rally For Scottsdale Law Enforcement Officers is scheduled from 10 am – noon, Sat., Jan 17 at Scottsdale Police Department Headquarters, 8401 E Indian School Road, Scottsdale. Contact: Barbara Heller email@example.com
· Third term Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Pleibus has announced that the schedule for the nine sanctioned Presidential Debates or 2015. They are:
1. Fox News - August 2015 in Ohio
2. CNN - September 2015 in California
3. CNBC - October 2015 in Colorado
4. Fox Business - November 2015 in Wisconsin
5. CNN - December 2015 in Nevada
6. Fox News - January 2016 in Iowa
7. ABC News - February 2016 in New Hampshire
8. CBS News - February 2016 in South Carolina
9. NBC/Telemundo - February 2016 in Florida
The three pending debates are:
Fox News - March 2016 TBD
CNN - March 2016 TBD
Conservative Media Debate - Date TBD, Locations TBD
· Speaker Pro Tempore Bob Robson Was Elected to the 2015 Board of the State Legislative Leaders Foundation (SLLF). The 29 member board is made up of legislative leaders from across the country and includes representatives and senators from both parties. “I am honored to have been elected to the SLLF Board,” said Robson. “I will endeavor to inspire the men and women serving in government to be the best that they can be and to recognize daily the vital role they play in our democracy.” The SLLF is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose goal is to improve the quality of legislative leadership around the country and the world. Robson served on the SLLF Board from 2006-2008. After Robson left office due to term limits, former House Speaker Kirk Adams - currently Gov. Doug Ducey’s chief of staff - also served on the board until he left office. www.sllf.org.
· RNC Chairman Reince Priebus Was Elected To A Third Term at today’s RNC Winter meeting in San Diego. Priebus will become the longest serving Chairman in modern history and is only the seventh person to serve four years as Republican Party Chairman. Priebus was elected Chairman on January 14, 2011, and reelected on January 25, 2013.
· Sharon Day Was Elected To Her Third Term As Co-Chairman of the Republican National Committee (RNC) at the RNC Winter Meeting in San Diego, today. Day was an integral part of the success in the 2014 election cycle. She spearheaded the RNC’s “14 in 14” initiative which trained and equipped Republican women to be more involved in mobilizing others to support Republican candidates. Day campaigned across the country hosting women’s workshops, promoting Republican candidates and advocating for conservative principles.
· Sen John McCain Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, today announced that the first full committee hearing of the 114th Congress will take place Wed, Jan 21 with former National Security Advisors Brent Scowcroft and Dr. Zbigniew Brzezinski. The Committee will receive testimony on global challenges on global challenges and U.S. national security strategy at 9 am in the Hart Senate Office Blgd. This will be the first in a series of hearings on global challenges and U.S. national security strategy
· US Rep Martha McSally today joined chairman of the Homeland Security Committee Michael McCaul to introduce The Secure Our Borders First Act, legislation to gain and maintain control of our nation’s land and maritime borders. The Committee on Homeland Security, on which McSally serves as a member, is expected to consider the legislation through the regular order process before bringing it to the House floor.
Attention AZGOP Officer Candidates: Briefs is posting reader questions for AZGOP candidates running for election at the Jan 24 Statutory meeting. Officer candidates are asked to respond to each question in 300 words or less. Candidate answers will be posted in the “What The Candidates Are Saying” section. Please keep to the issues. Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
1. What are your qualifications to serve in the position you are running for?
2. What are your goals, if elected?
3. Arizona was one of only four states not to achieve an increase in Republican Legislators in 2014 despite the Republican wave across the nation. How do you plan to get more AZ Republican legislators elected?
4. Precinct Committeeman numbers have DECLINED 30% in the past two years. How do you plan to increase the PC count?
5. How would you go about closing the Primary to allow only GOP voters to vote? And what resources (funds, manpower) would you use to close primaries?
6. Are you for or against amnesty?
7. How do you feel about “dark money” (out of state funded PACs) coming into AZ to influence elections?
8. Will you carry out the Censure of Sen John McCain? McCain was censured “for his continued disservice to our State and Nation” in Jan 2014 by the GOP State Committeemen, Maricopa County Republicans PCs, plus several outlaying counties “…until he consistently champions our Party’s Platform, we, the Republican leadership in Arizona will no longer support, campaign for or endorse John McCain as our U.S. Senator.”
9. Do you support reported attempts to remove conservative PCs from leadership roles?
10. Arizona Republicans suffered a Voter Registration LOSS of 32,800 the past two years, according to the Secretary of State’s report. How you plan to get them back?
11. Have you ever attended a Tea Party Meeting?
12. What organized groups have you reached out to during your active time in AZ politics? (diverse groups, ie, ethnic, political stance, conservative, liberal, etc -- not different LD or GOP run of the mill groups)
· Candidates for the January 24, 2015 AZGOP Mandatory Meeting. (Candidates must be State Committeemen. State Committeemen only eligible to vote. Nomination can be made from the floor.)
ü Candidate Slate consisting of :
o Chairman – Lori Urban
o 1st Vice Chairman - A. J. LaFaro
o 2nd Vice Chairman- Gabby Saucedo-Mercer
o Ardith Hildebrant
o 1st Vice Chairman - Parralee Schneider
o 2nd Vice Chairman - Jeni White
o Secretary - Linda White
o Treasurer – Jonathan Lines
· Newly Elected MCRC Officers For 2015-16:
Chairman – Tyler Bowyer
First Vice-Chairman – Jeni White
Second Vice-Chairman – Aaron Border
Secretary – Matt Eberle
Treasurer – David Ludwig
· The Republican-Controlled House voted Wednesday to block funding for President Barack Obama's efforts to protect millions of undocumented immigrants from deportation, signaling that the GOP doesn't plan to soften its stance on immigration.
Critics said Wednesday's legislation, which faces long odds in the Senate, would sow fear among undocumented immigrants and complicate any hope for comprehensive reform before the 2016 presidential election...But Republicans said this week's fight was necessary to combat executive overreach by the president...
The Arizona delegation divided along party lines on the legislation, which is built on a strategy Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., championed even before Obama announced in November that he would expand a program to temporarily shield an additional 4 million immigrants from deportation. Salmon had urged colleagues to withhold funding for the Department of Homeland Security that would carry out Obama's plans... "If the president thumbs his nose at the people's House...he does so at his own peril," Salmon said. "Look at what happened to him in November (during the election): He got trounced because of his cavalier, 'I don't care what anybody says' attitude."... The 236-191 House vote Wednesday keeps Homeland Security funded through the end of the budget year with $40 billion. Five amendments also passed that would roll back key administration priorities...
Read the full article by clicking here
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
MONDAY, JANUARY 19
· The Sun City Republican Club will meet with Tom Scott , a Director of the Community Assistance Network (CAN) at 7 pm., Jan 19 in the Sundial Recreation Center, 14801 N 103rd Ave., Sun City, AZ 85351. Scott will address services available to the members of the Sun City Community, including income tax preparation, help with widow benefits and property tax freezes. 630 pm social hour. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
TUESDAY, JANUARY 20
· Fountain Hills AZ Tea Party. (3rd Tues) 6:30 PM., Jan 20. Fountain Hills Unified School District Learning Center, 16000 E Palisades Blvd. (Palisades Blvd. & Golden Eagle Blvd.). Speakers: LD23 Sen John Kavanagh, Rep Michelle Ugenti, and newly- Rep Jay Lawrence will provide an update on the upcoming legislative session. Free admission. Donations to help offset expenses are appreciated. Contact: Richard Rutkowski email@example.com or www.fhteaparty.org
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 21
The Verde Valley Republican Women's Luncheon is scheduled at 11 am, Jan 21 at the Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa, 2250 Hwy 89A, Sedona, AZ Cost: $17. RSVP: Erna Sesek (928) 284-4248 or Sesek@q.com
· LD-25 Will Meet At 7 PM, Jan 21 at the Mesa Utility Building 640 N. Mesa Dr. Mesa, AZ at instead of Thursday January 15th due to facility scheduling conflicts. The candidates for the AZ State GOP have been invited to speak.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 22
The Paradise Republican Women’s Club will meet at 6:30 pm., Jan 22 to hear National Review Editor Richard Lowry in the Old Main Carson Ballroom on the Tempe campus. Lowry’s appearance is sponsored by ASU Center for Political thought and Leadership. Contact Roxane.Barwick@asu.edu or asu-center-political-thought-and-leadership
Colorado River Tea Party Round Table Discussion at noon, Jan 22 at Community Christian Church, 6480 E. Hwy 95 ( last bld behind church). www.coloradoriverteaparty.org
· The AZGOP Chairman’s Awards Dinner is scheduled at 6 pm., Sat., Jan 23 at the Four Points by Sheraton at Phoenix South Mountain, 10831 S 51st St., Phx. $40 per person. $300 per table.. Entertainment by a group of Korean Drummers. RSVP to Jennifer Bontrager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 602-957-7770.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 24
The Sun City Grand Republican Interest Group will meet at 9 am, Sat., Jan 24 in the Apache Room of the Chaparral Center, 19781 N. Remington Dr., Surprise AZ. 85374.Coffee and light refreshments will be available at 8:30am. Meetings are open to Sun City Grand residents and their guests, elected officials and candidates. The speaker will be from “Soldiers Best Friend,” a group that trains dogs to become therapeutic companions for veterans with PTSD. Contact: Ginny Nyre, President email@example.com ( 623-544-7187) or Ruth Seiter, Vice President, Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org (623-544-9309) or visit our website at www.grandpop.com
· A Support Rally For Law Enforcement Officers is scheduled between 10 am and noon. Sat., Jan 24 at the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office headquarters, 550 W Jackson, Phx. The rally is so support for all law enforcement officers in Maricopa County, including DPS, MCSO and surrounding metropolitan police departments. Wear blue or tan. Bring your own signs. Information:
· 26-Republicans-Deserve-Turned-Out Of Office McSally Voted With Dems
· Fox-News-Wins After 90,000 Subscribers Left DISH
· Ducey-School-Budgets, Classroom-Spending, Unification Laurie Roberts
· Don’t-Cancel-Corporate-Rate-Cuts Robert Robb
· Former AZGOP Chairman Tom Morrissey Refutes Robert Graham’s Claims
· AZGOP financial reports filed/ AZ Sec of State azsos.gov/cfs/FilerDetail
· FEC Filing Updated/Current AZGOP Financials Info CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?canId
· AZ Border Defenders Updated Daily
· Need2No Border News Watch
FIRST AMENDMENT – FREE SPEECH
· Hagel Warns Against White House 'Micromanaging' Military Leaders In His Final Address To The Troops, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Cautioned Thursday Against "Micromanaging" The Military In What Could Be Seen As Veiled Criticism Of The White House.
JUDGE ANDREW NAPOLITANO
· US-Senate-May-Cancel-The-Superbowl Insurance Expired
· Scientists-Undermine-Hottest-Year-Claim-By-Feds 'Please Laugh Out Loud When Someone Will Be Telling You That It Was The Warmest'
· Je-Suis-Charlie-Demonstrations-Paris-Massacre People Around The World Are Pouring Into The Streets To Support Charlie Hebdo After The Paris Massacre
· These Maps And Photos Capture The Defiant Response.